09 January 2010

The Saturday List

This year, for no particular reason other than that it will give me something to write about each week, I will be making a list on Saturday. That's my only resolution. You'll have to forgive me for missing last week, but I hadn't had my brilliant idea then. So today I begin my first installment.

Authors I Need to Read
1. Stephen King. One of the few people who's books I buy in hardcover. Every one of them, as soon as it's available.
2. Dean Koontz. The other author that I buy in hardcover.
3. Clive Cussler. Makes me revisit the dream I briefly had in high school of being a marine biologist so I, too, could save the world every month or two.
4. Harper Lee. Well, yes, she did just write the one book, but it was a heck of a book.
5. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories at least once every year and I love them, therefore, I refuse to go see the movie.
6. Agatha Christie. I especially like Hercule Poirot. Dame Agatha's books are good for listening to in the car on the drive to Parents' house which takes 7 hours. Nothing that small ears can't listen to.
7. Vincent Bugliosi. I learned more about our criminal justice system from Helter Skelter than I did in my high school government class.
8. Barbara Walker. If you want to try a new knitting stitch, it'll be in one of her 4 books.
9. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Never heard of knitting humor? Don't see how such a thing is possible? Try her blog: The Yarn Harlot. If you like knitting at all you'll soon have all her books on order.
10. Erik Larson. The Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck are both excellent. Not just interesting historical subjects, but well written.

2 comments:

Caren said...

Crazy question for you... I visited your blog before and commented on the National Geographic World magazine pretzel recipe that you posted from 1980. I want to use the recipe to make pretzels for my son's class in the shape of "6s" for his 6th birthday this week. Do you have any idea how many average sized pretzels it makes? I know it's a long shot that you'll remember or even be able to answer but I recall that when my family did it when I was a kid, we had a lot of pretzels! ha ha! You can "click" on my name and respond to my blog address if you have the time. Thanks!

I love the socks you knitted btw, I'm a knitter too but don't manage to find the time to do it as much as I'd like. I took a sock class and enjoyed it but would need a refresher at this point. Fun stuff to knit though for sure...

Carrie said...

Hmm... will have to check the library for the Devil in the White City sounds very interesting. I really like your list idea.