27 November 2007

Confession is Good...

Happy post Thanksgiving everyone. Hopefully you all had a lovely time and a wonderful meal. We drove from Chicago to Detroit (and once we got into Indiana we actually got above 30 mph,) and stayed with Brother and his family. Brother is an excellent cook and grills or smokes his food nearly every day of the year. He smoked us a turkey which was delicious and we had all sorts of other yummy dishes as well. I asked the "What are you thankful for?" question and got the sort of answers you'd expect. The kids were thankful for the Webkins that I brought them, Sister-In-Law was thankful for the health of her kids, and Husband was thankful that I hadn't asked what he was thankful for...until I asked.

I do have a couple of confessions to make. First, I didn't bring any knitting with me. This was because I didn't think the lace stole would work out well with the kids and animals (Basset Hound is the most shedding dog in the history of dogs,) so I accomplished nothing knitwise. Second, we spent the entire day on Friday watching Ninja Warrior on G4. By entire day I mean approximately 12 hours. This show is like a car wreck. Once you see it you can't look away. The basic premise is Japanese people doing an impossible obstacle course. The announcers are Japanese, but they do provide subtitles if you really need to know what they're saying. I encourage you to click on the link and check out the Best Wipeout video. It was like that all day Friday.
Once we got back home I turned into a knitting machine. I was determined to have the stole done by this morning. I finished putting the last bit of edging on last night at 11:00, then blocked the thing as best I could in my sleep deprived state. As the Yarn Harlot says, blocking is magic for lace. It looks like a lumpy mess, goes for a swim, gets stretched a little, pinned a little, then POW it's something beautiful. I turned on the ceiling fan at 11:30, locked the cats out of the room and by this morning it was dry and ready to go. This also concludes the no knitting for me challenge. Now I face the task of deciding what goes on the needles next. I only have about 50 possibilities in mind. Perhaps a trip to the yarn shop to inspire me...

2 comments:

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

If I'm ever going to get to knit something for myself, I'll have to turn into a knitting machine. As soon as the last sweater is down, I'm hoping for a break in comission requests.

DH wants to deep fry a turkey. I have a not so good feeling about this. I think that I'll just let him get a smoker instead.

MadMad said...

STUNNING! (And I have also never seen such a great case made for blocking - you can totally see the difference! Holy mackerel!) But can we back up a sec? You took NO KNITTING on your trip with you?!?! OMG - you don't have a traveling sock or something? How did you cope with the withdrawal? I don't even pick up my kid in the car pool lane at school without knitting. Wow. You're a strong woman!