06 February 2010

The Saturday List

Today I went to see a play. It was a good play, the Cotton Patch Gospel, but it was in a town about 60 miles away from where I live, so it did eat up quite a bit of my day. Going to see a play brings to mind other things I've done for entertainment, so today's list is:

Movies I've Enjoyed Lately

1. Avatar. This was a family event, and we all sat together in the theater wearing the silly 3D glasses.

2. Eight Legged Freaks. This is not the movie to see if you're looking for a "serious" horror movie. It's silly and it knows it.

3. Inside Man. This is a heist movie, and a really good one. I've recently seen it on TV, so the spicier dialog was edited out. Probably for the best.

4. Gosford Park. This is a British murder mystery, but more of a study of the life of some hoity toitys versus the servants who live "below stairs."

5. The Thirteenth Warrior. This is Michael Crichton's version of Beowulf. Antonio Banderas and a bunch of Norse dudes fighting mysterious bear-men.

6. Citizen X. I saw this one on Showtime when it came out in '95. I have an interest in serial killers, and this is a well done movie about one of the most prolific ones.

7. Aliens. I know I've seen Alien, but it was 20 years ago, and only the one time. I've seen this one several times. I especially enjoy it when Burke gets eaten.

8. Monte Python and the Holy Grail. Daughter had never seen it before, so we watched it together the other day. She enjoyed much of it, though some of the humor went over her head. She understood, "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries," though.

9. The Men Who Stare at Goats. I did enjoy this movie, although I had already seen all of the funny parts in the trailers.

10. Lake Placid. Another creature movie that doesn't take itself seriously and is extremely funny.

No comments: