05 September 2007

That Can't Be Right

I finished the first side panel of the Celtic Icon sweater. Everything went fine till I got to the last tiny bit of instructions. Just 12 stitches left to deal with. What I think I should have is an upside down U shape, since that would fit nicely into the back and fronts that I made. What I ended up with is this ->. I thought to myself, “That can’t be right; you must have read something wrong.” So I pulled it out and tried again. And again. I have a feeling that the lovely Ms Ellis would not design such a thing as this, so I go to the computer to check and see if there are any errata for the pattern. As Murphy would have it, the router is in one of its No Connecting phases, so I can’t check to see if there is an easy fix or if I’m going to have to correct it myself. There’s no way I’m leaving that aesthetically challenged ending as it is.

After another day of not being able to connect to the rest of the world my son told me the secret computer voodoo ritual that is required to appease the technogods: Unplug the cable modem, plug it back in, unplug it again, then plug it in again. You have to do it twice because after you unplug it the first time it won't always reconnect. After the second unplugging it realizes that you're really serious and connects again. After performing this ritual I am once again connected to the rest of the world. I'm off to see if I can find a sensible way to end my side panels.

No comments: